After months of worsening conflict, Taliban leaders said they had proposed a three-month ceasefire in Afghanistan in exchange for prisoner releases and the removal of the group’s leaders from a UN blacklist, local media reported on Thursday.

But a member of the Afghan government’s negotiating team denied the reports.

Nader Nadery, who had previously been quoted on the matter, said that he had been misunderstood.

“The Taliban has offered a plan for a three-month ceasefire, but in exchange, they have asked for the release of 7,000 of their prisoners and the removal of their leaders’ names from the UN blacklist,” Mr Nadery was quoted as saying by Tolo News.

But Mr Nadery told The National that the Taliban “have not made any such offer”.

“There have been informal talks over the months in different settings, and even then, they [the Taliban] would say release our prisoners first,” he said.

“There is nothing new on this subject and there was never a formal proposal offered to us.”

Several attempts to reach a Taliban representative for comment went unanswered.

Read full report on The National